Wednesday, April 1, 2009

An Answer (?) to My Easter Question

Last week, I wrote on this blog about the biblical account of the crucifixion. Specifically, I wondered how many times Jesus was whipped during his scourging.

I reported that I had been under the impression, since I was a child, that Jesus was given 39 lashes, and I explained that my personal research indicated that 39 lashes was Moses' law — and the reason for that was tradition held that 40 lashes were sufficient to kill someone. Therefore, the most extreme punishment that could be inflicted on a person without sentencing that person to death would be to inflict "40 lashes save one."

But I have never found a passage in the Bible that specifically states how many lashes were inflicted on Jesus.

Today, a friend of mine directed my attention to a passage from the Apostle Paul's Second Epistle to the Corinthians.

Here is the passage, from the "New Living Translation" of the Bible:
"Are they servants of Christ? I know I sound like a madman, but I have served him far more! I have worked harder, been put in prison more often, been whipped times without number, and faced death again and again. Five different times the Jewish leaders gave me 39 lashes."

2nd Corinthians 11:23–24

Now, this passage doesn't refer specifically to Jesus. It refers to Paul's experiences.

But it seems to confirm that 39 lashes was an accepted, traditional punishment. And, in those days, laws were followed to the letter.

So, while it doesn't confirm how many lashes were administered to Jesus, it seems to confirm what the normal procedure was.

And that, it seems to me, is probably as close as we can get to answering my question.

No comments: