Thursday, November 8, 2007

Brief Encounter

I don't mention this very often, in my blog or anywhere else, but I do have a John Edwards sticker on my vehicle.

Today, I stopped at the neighborhood grocery store. As I was on my way in, a lady who was parked next to me stopped me and said, "If you can get John Edwards nominated, I'll vote for a Democrat for the first time in my life!" She paused, then added, "I want to vote for a Democrat next year, but I just can't vote for Hillary Clinton."

There may be a lot of Republicans, here in formerly rock-ribbed Republican Dallas and elsewhere, who feel the same way.

There's an opportunity for the Democrats in Texas (where no Democrat running for president has won since Jimmy Carter carried Texas in 1976) and in other so-called "red" states, but it's an opportunity that may dissolve if Hillary gets the nomination.

No comments: